Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground

Subject: Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 13:04:10

Hello Marcel, all,

yes - I'm fighting symptoms and of course I know, that it would be better to
rather
fix the source of the problems thoroughly instead, which obviously is, what
Frans did (Frans - thanks a lot for your far-reaching explanations, your offer
to have a look and btw good to know you're well off :-).

I've learned, that most live with the cooling shortcomings of the Europa somehow
or investigated and found their own ways to cure it (like David Joyce, who left
it all like it is and changed to another propeller). At least I've read about
and also saw many interesting solutions. Bud Yerly in Florida did something
different than Frans who did it different than Neville Eyre.....

What I forgot to tell you, but what is most important for the whole discussion:
I didn't build my Europa but bought it second hand. Those who found the best
solutions are also builders or even worked at Europa Aircraft or have a shop,
like Bud. What Frans and Ilona achieved or Bud Yerly does for his customers is
way beyond my skills.

So I came to the conclusion, that I have to buy a Woodcomp, SR 3000 W, which
seems to be an adequate fix for the cooling problem and adds a tad to the
performance as well (since I want to keep the rest of the setup as it is, like
David did, I'd also chose the 3-bladed and not the 2-bladed for that reason) or
I make a flap in front of the cooler, like a friend in Belgium did it at his XS
Mono 912S. Another option might be the new Whirlwind blades with a wider chord
in the Airmaster hup
http://www.airmasterpropellers.com/products/productdescription/type/view/id/67/ww-r64w,
 but I don't know yet if this is sufficient, since they are comparatively new.
Obviously this would be much cheaper than a new Woodcomp with Controller.

At least my "only" cooling problem is SOLELY ON THE GROUND and in a couple of
years,
even though running the engine with a thermostat I never actually had to
shut down the engine due to overheating. So I have to focus on that problem
during
ground operation.

Anyway thanks again to all for your input - much appreciated!!

Regards
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914