Re: Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:40:20

Roland, It was actually a 4kt gain in top speed at various altitudes,
equivalent to an extra 7.5 horse power. William Mills did comparable
direct comparisons in his 912 Classic and also gained 4kts top speed
with improvements in fuel consumption & climb performance. I believe, by
the way, that the latest Woodcomp controller is a good design, very much
up to the Smart Avionics one.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2016-07-29 10:41, Roland wrote:

> Hello Marcel,
>
> removing the thermostat brings the benefit, that I can taxi earlier (with much
lower CHTs) after engine start, because the radiator, which will then warm up
immediately also warms the oil cooler, that is mounted behind it - so I shorten
the time waiting for the oil temps to rise. Now I have >50C CHT when I start
taxi with the oil at 30C.

> The same at the holding position, where I expect the CHTs to be close to the
oil temperatures. When I'm ready for departure with 75C oil/water temps, I have
a margin of 40C until I'd have to shut down at 115C. That's also quite some
time.

> The oil/water exchanger is generally a brilliant idea, but only with ample
> cooling
reserves, which I don't have unfortunately.

> As for the efforts with the Dutch CAA - there isn't a Europa Trigear flying
> with
the Woodcomp SR 3000 W AFAIK (Frans Feldmann has the 2-bladed). For the
"glijkstelling"
this is required IIRC. And the MTOM has to be 656 kg as well. However
I also think it's doable with the ILENT...

> David, I've read your interesting article now and it seems the biggest benefit
is in cooling rather than performance, although I wouldn't sniff at a couple
of knots either. I asked my Dutch mechanic, who is also a Woodcomp dealer and
he estimated the Price in the region of 4500 EUR, but will check the exect Price
for me (anyone want an Airmster for 4000 EUR ;-) ?

> A Belgian Europa friend has mounted a cooling flap in the lower cowling in
> front
of the Radiator which also works pretty well he says.

> He also recommended this cooling fluid
> http://www.sm-sport.de/Oele-Pflege/Sonstiges/Denicol-Sub-Zero-Water-Cooler-2-Liter-Kuehlfluessigkeit.htm?SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=D180-1432&p=601
>  [1] , which also seems to drop the temperatures a bit.
>
> Many food for thought - thanks again friends!
>
> Regards
> Roland
> PH-ZTI
> XS TG 914