Re: Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground
From: Trevor Pond <trevpond@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 17:57:11

Hi

Neville Eyre's cowling a make the engine run a lot cooler on the ground.  Give
him a ring and I'm sure he will be pleased to discuss.

When OAT is high I always taxi my 914 Eoropa with coarse pitch set - it
certainly
helps.

Regards

Trev
G-LINN

Sent from my iPhone

> On 28 Jul 2016, at 15:18, Roland <schmidtroland@web.de> wrote:
>

> Hi David and Ira,
>
> I guess you are both right, but achieved cooling-improvement on different
> ways.

> David, I well remember our chat on the Europa AGM last year but have to admit,
that I thought of something cheaper than a new Propeller. I even would consider
this, when it would be "only" the money provided it's a reliable solution.
But since my Europa is on the Dutch Register, I'd expect considerable paperwork
with the authorities going along with additional costs. However additional
performance is also tempting :-)

> Ira, yes - Bud Yerly has huge knowledge of the Europa cooling modifications
> and
I know his comprehensive article. Since I can't do much myself and cannot bring
my Europa to his shop, I have to stick to more or less easy solutions like
removing the Thermostate first.

> I have already modified the airflow in the tunnel with an aluminum sheet to
> force
more air through the Radiator and the result is quite good when airborn in
all kind of OATs even in extensive climbs at MTOM. On the other hand I know
of conventional installations (XS-cowling and 914) like the one of Tim Weert
from
Holland, who seems to have no cooling issues. The cooling-problem in my Europa
is either not dramatic, since I can run the engine for >10 minutes from start
up until take off in 28C (and that is with a coolant Thermostate which pushes
the temperatures quick to 85C). It's rather the situations like sitting behind
a queue at the holding position - like David described it - when it becomes
uncomfortable with one eye always on the CHT-gauge. At the AERO fare in
Friedrichshafen
I positioned my Europa 3 meters behind a Cirrus SR 22 to Keep the
CHT at 115C.