Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground

Subject: Europa-List: Fwd: Re: Cooling issues XS 914 on the ground
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 02:41:42

Hello Marcel,

removing the thermostat brings the benefit, that I can taxi earlier (with much
lower CHTs) after engine start, because the radiator, which will then warm up
immediately also warms the oil cooler, that is mounted behind it - so I shorten
the time waiting for the oil temps to rise. Now I have >50C CHT when I start
taxi with the oil at 30C.

The same at the holding position, where I expect the CHTs to be close to the oil
temperatures. When I'm ready for departure with 75C oil/water temps, I have
a margin of 40C until I'd have to shut down at 115C. That's also quite some
time.

The oil/water exchanger is generally a brilliant idea, but only with ample
cooling
reserves, which I don't have unfortunately.

As for the efforts with the Dutch CAA - there isn't a Europa Trigear flying with
the Woodcomp SR 3000 W AFAIK (Frans Feldmann has the 2-bladed). For the
"glijkstelling"
this is required IIRC. And the MTOM has to be 656 kg as well. However
I also think it's doable with the ILENT...

David, I've read your interesting article now and it seems the biggest benefit
is in cooling rather than performance, although I wouldn't sniff at a couple of
knots either. I asked my Dutch mechanic, who is also a Woodcomp dealer and he
estimated the Price in the region of 4500 EUR, but will check the exect Price
for me (anyone want an Airmster for 4000 EUR ;-) ?

A Belgian Europa friend has mounted a cooling flap in the lower cowling in front
of the Radiator which also works pretty well he says.

He also recommended this cooling fluid
http://www.sm-sport.de/Oele-Pflege/Sonstiges/Denicol-Sub-Zero-Water-Cooler-2-Liter-Kuehlfluessigkeit.htm?SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=D180-1432&p=601
  , which also seems to drop the temperatures a bit.

Many food for thought - thanks again friends!

Regards
Roland
PH-ZTI
XS TG 914