Europa-List: Re: Wing missing mass balance reassess

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Wing missing mass balance reassess
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 04:40:42

Tony,

I can't add much to the advice of others and my wings are the Classic early
foam-cored
type, so what I'm about to say may be irrelevant for XS wings. It is important
to keep constantly in mind when creating the recesses that when the ailerons
eventually get attached, their trailing edge downward deflection is limited
by the mass balance weights touching the underside of the wing top surface.
You need enough deflection for rigging adjustments.

In the Classic the tolerance for downward aileron deflection is very tight and
so it was imperative not to add too much thickness under the wing upper surface
by adding unnecessary extra layers of anything. After attaching the aileron
hinges to the wings, I was careful with temporarily attaching the mass balance
foam arms and lead weights using 5 minute epoxy to ensure that the arms weren't
angled too much upwards from the leading edges of the ailerons. Also allow
a millimetre or so for the thickness of the "uni" glass straps which eventually
get wrapped around the mass balance arms and their weights.

What the others have already advised you all seems like good stuff to me.

Read this topic online here: