Europa-List: Re: Wing missing mass balance reassess

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Wing missing mass balance reassess
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:12:49

The foam filled Classic wings are definitely lighter by something like 10 lbs
each.
As regards the extended spring-arm tail wheel, I'll go to my grave insisting
that the original tail wheel (direct cable linkage and no springs) is better
with far less propensity to ground looping. I have about 700 hours in my own
original tail wheeled aircraft and did the test flying of my friends aircraft
with extended tail wheel for the initial permit issue.

No, it isn't that I'm more accustomed to my own aircraft which causes me
difficulty
in keeping straight after landing in his machine. I have no doubt after several
hours in his and I'm certain that the springs built into the linkage cause
a lag in response whenever anyone applies pedal either way.

These springs are a feature of both the factory extended tail wheel modification
and the more tidy-looking extended tail wheel design by Graham Singleton. I'd
be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with both the factory-
and the Singleton tail wheel designs.

I understand why the factory saw fit to redesign the tail wheel arrangement and
I accept that it probably helps during take off in a crosswind, but I believe
that it makes matters worse for landing in a crosswind. I look forward to a
reply
---From Graham perhaps to offer any suggestion as to what, if anything, might
be done to improve tail responsiveness particularly after landing. Perhaps
tighten
the springs?

In the meantime, I strongly recommend that Tony should fit a tricycle
undercarriage,
as I have recently done and enjoy stress-free landings.

Read this topic online here: