Re: Europa-List: Re: Wing missing mass balance reassess

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Wing missing mass balance reassess
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:06:51

On 15 Sep 2014, at 14:59, tonyvaccarella <tony@weimagine.com.au> wrote:

> The aircraft was sold to me as an XS and came from the USA s/n A011 but on
> closer
inspection of the wings seemed to show that they are foam core. So I think
I was sold a Europa Classic. It is for this reason that the mass-balance
reassesses
are missing at that they are not cut out. In reviewing the Builders Manual
for the Classic Wing, the mass balance boxes are not provided and need to
be build. Also the reassess  is constructed AFTER the wing is closed.

> I feel releaved in one way but annoyed in another that I was sold a Classic
> when
I was assured it was an XS.

> Has anyone heard of this happening before - should I be concerned with the
> Classic
as compared to the XS?

Tony - it appears that kit A011 was sold by the factory in 1995 so its pretty
certain
to be a Classic, as the XS didnt come along until about 2000.

No doubt opinions will vary, but I wouldnt worry too much about the difference
between the XS and Classic wings. There are also differences in the fuselage (eg
XS has larger baggage bay) but having flown in both models, I dont feel the
differences are enough to get hot under the collar about.

There are examples of combinations of XS and Classic parts - I think some
Classic
wings are flying on an XS fuselage, and some Classic fuselages have XS
firewall-forward
stuff.

Did you get the build manuals as issued by the factory with that kit? Did you
get
any construction and/or inspection documentation from the original builder(s)?

in friendship

Rowland