Re: Europa-List: Re: Wing missing mass balance reassess

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Wing missing mass balance reassess
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:17:02

Tony,

The original "classic" kits were sold in three phases, Kit one was tail
planes with rudder, fin, flaps and ailerons. Kit two was the blue foam
wings and kit three was the fuselage.

There are many Europas out there that started life with "Classic" blue
foam wings, but by the time their builders were ready for the fuselage
kit, the "New" XS was available, so many of them ended up as hybrids.
The good thing is that there is absolutely nothing "second rate" about
the earlier wings. They are slightly shorter than the XS and have
shorter but deeper ailerons and are reputed to weigh less (I haven't
weighed mine to check), but fly just as well.
The XS fuselage had a 2" deeper left hand footwell to address complaints
---From early flyers that the legroom was a bit lacking (why Europa didn't
extend both footwells I have no idea), so a quick check to see it you
have an XS fuselage is to see if these are the same depth or not.
Other XS differences include an integrated fin (no longer a need to make
the blue foam fin and stick it on), pre-moulded fuel drain cut-outs
under the fuel tank and slightly different foam reinforcement around the
rear of the cockpit module by the rear "D" bulkhead.

If you do have this combination of foam wings with XS fus, you can feel
happy that it is XS'ish. If however, the fus is the earlier "Classic"
then you may be justified contacting the seller for a "robust" discussion.

Either way, you have it now and I doubt you are going to ship it back to
the States. Just get to grips with the build and have some fun, you'll
end up with a fantastic little plane.
I have copies of all of the original Blue Foam build manuals in pdf
format. If you would like a copy, email me off list and I'll send them on.

Nigel

On 15/09/2014 14:59, tonyvaccarella wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Well I think I have finally worked out what's happened. I only took possession
of this aircraft 2 weeks ago and been busy reviewing what I have and what is
missing.

> The aircraft was sold to me as an XS and came from the USA s/n A011 but on
> closer
inspection of the wings seemed to show that they are foam core. So I think
I was sold a Europa Classic. It is for this reason that the mass-balance
reassesses
are missing at that they are not cut out. In reviewing the Builders Manual
for the Classic Wing, the mass balance boxes are not provided and need to
be build. Also the reassess  is constructed AFTER the wing is closed.

> I feel releaved in one way but annoyed in another that I was sold a Classic
> when
I was assured it was an XS.

> Has anyone heard of this happening before - should I be concerned with the
> Classic
as compared to the XS?