RE: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas
From: Brian Davies <brian.davies@clara.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 13:56:11
=9Cif we have a plethora of Permit built and operated aircraft
flying / departing / returning under IFR we will inevitably be reading
about its tragic results, I would be devastated to read of such
tragedies in the press.=9D

David, I think this is a bit sensationalistic and flies in the face of
the facts.  Pilots in the USA have been able to fly IFR in home built
aircraft for many years and the ground is not littered with smoking
wreckage.

The very understandable comments from the professional pilots in our
community are also not supported by the stats.  There are a large number
of  (UK) IMC rated pilots flying PA28s, for example, and I think there
has only been two accidents in total since the IMCR was introduced.
Compare this with the number of accidents caused by VFR pilots scud
running.

All of these issues have been fully and professionally examined as part
of the work that has led to the present trials that are taking place.
That is why it has taken 6 years to get to this stage.  Any home built
aircraft that is approved for night/IFR will have been through a very
thorough testing process that is at least equivalent to that required
for a certified aircraft.

Regards

Brian Davies