RE: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas
From: Brian Davies <brian.davies@clara.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:31:33

The UK CAA and EASA have been moving away from rule based regulation towards
risk based regulation.  They have now accepted that "one size fits all"
regulation has severely damaged general aviation in Europe.  The general
public would expect a lower level of risk to be taken on a public transport
flight where they have no control over the decisions taken to protect them
---From harm.  Participants in sports and recreation activities can, if they
want, accept a higher level of risk. E.g. bungee jumping, skiing, water
skiing etc.

In sport and recreational flying we can decide to accept a higher level of
risk if we want.  It is our choice.  Once the regulations have been amended
in the UK it will be our choice to take advantage of the amended regulations
regarding night/IFR in permit aircraft.  The danger to un-involved third
parties is judged to be acceptably low. If the balance of risks do not match
your person risk profile then don't do it.

Jonathon is quite right- a lightning strike in a composite aircraft may well
result in a fatality if no means of dissipating the charge is provided.  You
can mitigate that risk to an extent by not flying IFR (IMC) in conditions
that are conducive to lightning strikes. It will be your, informed, choice
rather than being told what to do by a regulator.

Regards

Brian Davies