Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas

Subject: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas
From: graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 11:35:18

I read this week in Pilot the report of the TB10 fatality last year near
Bristol,
and thought it was a shame he had no confidence in IMC even though he had a
few hundred hours PIC and a plane equipt for it. From his track he looked to
be in a real panic.
Just a few times a year I get in near IMC ish weather, haze, or haze and sun,
some
low cloud or cloud going from 2/8 to 6/8, maybe having started over the sea
only to find a bank of mist/cloud at 500ft. I quite like to fly in a variety
of conditions and deliberately fly all year round. Sticking to CAV OK is a
mistake.
For me its about the confidence. I just want to feel confident and calm, trained
and equipt in inadvertent marginal conditions. I guess I don't really need the
plane certifying as I don't intend to take off in IMC but it would be good
to have it and do my bi annual validations on it. One more aid to confidence.

It is more twitchy than a PA28 and even in a PA28 flying for any period in thick
cloud is stressful with the changes in air density turbulence etc so I am not
going there on purpose.
On one hand you have Mr Airbus auto pilot on the other some chap who flies round
the world through hour upon hour of horrendous stuff in a flex wing.

--------
Graeme Bird
G-UMPY
Mono Classic/XS 912S/Woodcomp 3000/3W