Re: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas
From: DAVID JOYCE <stranfaer@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 10:40:30
=C2-This is a really interesting discussion and I have to say that I am i
n total agreement about currency and despite having had an IMC rating for 2
0+ years do not and will not deliberately fly into IMC conditions as a matt
er of open choice, I only ever did the rating to use as a challenge to impr
ove my flying and as a last chance get out of jail free card.=0A=0AI concur
 with Jonathans comments that if we have a plethora of Permit built and ope
rated aircraft flying / departing / returning under IFR we will inevitably
be reading about its tragic results, I would be devastated to read of such
tragedies in the press.=0A=0AThere are many different standards of build so
me are stunning some are dogs, even with the annual permit system they stil
l get through ( I have to say that the same happens with CAA and EASA aircr
aft as well). Do we really want these flying blind as a matter of routine a
bove our homes and families?=0A=0AThe other one=0ASent to you=C2-by David
 Joyce=0Awww.eastmidsspas.com=C2- =0A=C2-=0APLEASE NOTE WE HAVE MOVED A
ND ARE NOW AT=0AThe Zycomm Building 51 Nottingham Road Ripley Derbys DE5 3A
S=0A160 Meters from Sainsbury's Island=0A=C2-=0ASame Phone 0800 4102122 a
nd Direct Mobile 07973 675755=0A=C2-=0A =0A=0A___________________________
_____=0A From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>=0ATo: europa-list@matron
ics.com =0ASent: Monday, 8 September 2014, 23:44=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List
: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas=0A  =0A=0A--> Europa-List message p
osted by: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>=0A=0AJonathonthanks
for your educated and well-founded opinionparticularly your emphas
is on the importance of true =9Ccurrency=9D, not just by-the-bo
ok currencysimilar reasoning has kept me in the ranks of VFR aviat
orsF.=0A=0AOn Sep 8, 2014, at 3:07 PM, jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@
ank" <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>=0A> =0A> Permit me to annoy you all intensely.
 After more than four decades of earning my living as a pilot, military and
 civilian, and having held a full instrument rating for over 32 years, wild
 horses couldn't drag me and my Europa into IMC or night conditions, even i
f my aircraft had all the required bells and whistles.=0A> =0A> Single-engi
ned in those conditions doesn't seem wise to me, especially in a glass-fibr
e airframe in conditions where you can't see and avoid potential lightning
activity.=0A> =0A> Furthermore procedural instrument flying is a skill wher
e you need to keep very current. An hour or so each month just isn't going
to cut it. Me and my colleagues find that just a week or two of holiday bef
ore resuming flight operations, puts most pilots (if they're being honest)
somewhat behind the mental drag curve for a day or two after returning to d
uty.=0A> =0A> And we have the advantage of an Airbus suite of EFIS, Flight
Directors and unbeatable automation, plus two pairs of eyes and ears to mon
itor the situation.=0A> =0A> Yes I have also flown IMC in earlier days as s
ingle pilot with no stabilisation nor autoflight systems, doing things like
 QGH and GCA in the military. That would make anyone sweat.=0A> =0A> So hav
e fun if you must and I'll hope not to read of any sad CFIT stories.=0A>
=0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> Read this topic online here:=0A> =0A> http://forums.mat
ronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=430200#430200=0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> =0A
=C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- -Matt Dralle
=========