RE: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 12:46:42

Hello everyone.

There has been a lot of discussion about flying the Europa IFR on the forum
so I'll toss in my 2 cents worth.  I have both and ILS and GPS approach set
up in my aircraft.  My experience is that it isn't a very good IFR platform
at all. It's just too light and as such, difficult to set up a stable
approach.  I have personal minimums of 600' on an ILS and 800' and GPS
approach and quite frankly I'll only do that if I am super current, and the
reality that this I am almost never super current.  I can count on one hand
the number of times I have done an instrument approach in my Europa.

What I do find the IFR capability useful for is to leave an area of marginal
weather and fly to a place that is forecasted to be clear VFR.

I echo Johnathan's comments, flying two pilot operations in multiengine type
rated aircraft is a whole different world and a much better situation than
single pilot IFR.  In days gone by I'd fly my Piper Comanche down to
minimums, but not anymore, I guess I must be getting old.

One other thought that Johnathan hadn't mentioned, I have encountered un
forecasted icing and even the slightest amount of ice on the Europa's wings
is a horrible thought to contemplate.

So hopefully if Johnathan hasn't annoyed you all intensely, I have.... lol

Cheers, Paul