Re: Europa-List: Electrical Wiring

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Electrical Wiring
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 18:19:42
Tony,
Your build experience will be enhanced by learning how to do DSub
connectors properly.  Pins and Sockets may be purchased at very cheap
prices (even in gold plated connectors as I use).

I use Allied Electric (alliedelec.com) as my primary supplier.  All your
avionics uses D subs.  Garmin supplies and prefers the mil spec pins and
sockets, but many others are available.  I use Tyco (TE Technology) or
Amp primarily.
Tools you need are:
A crimper  (I use an Eclipse pro grade one, and my friend uses a Quest
technology ratcheting type for open crimp type pins which crimp the wire
and insulation for a great connection as well as my megabuck one.)
 (I use a Quest Tech for my barrel pin connector crimper.)   Even Radio
Shack has pretty good tools.

A D sub pin and socket extractor tool will be necessary.

A good wire stripper.

And you will find 9 and 25 pin are the the most common used in the
aircraft.
Connectors are only a few bucks, hardware a couple more and pins come in
sizes from AWG 30 wire to #18 and run about $.030.

I also like circular connectors for my through the firewall and airframe
to panel hookups.

More tools and fun gadgets.

After all, you built it, you can maintain it far cheaper than hiring
someone.  But you need to do the study and practice.

If I run a wire anywhere, it terminates in a plug with a bit of a
maintenance loop or S turn to facilitate maintenance.  If it is
electric, assume it will fail.  Especially make sure you have connectors
that are easy to latch where it is difficult to get to or work.
Manufacturers make all different kind of connectors and hardware.

I do deviate from the book when it comes to inspection holes.  I believe
an inspection hole must be big enough to work in, not just look and
scratch your head to try to figure out how to fix something using
tweasers and forceps while looking backwards through a mirror.

Enjoy Building
Bud Yerly