Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable
From: Michel AUVRAY <mau11@orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 03:43:47

Hello all,
I am skydiver since 1960, and parachutes builder since 1973, all of the
parachutes handles for reserve sport, pilot chutes, ejection seat,
military equipments are made since 1960 in stainless steel. The handle
assembly are tested in accordance with TSO C23c, d or e.
Each component are in Stainless steel, handle, cable and swaging ball,
and the cable is conform to MIL W 83420 7x7x19 Dia. 2.38 mm or similar,
nominal strength is 420 kg > 927 lbs.
These handle are perfect in the time. For example I have parachutes in
my collection with the differents harware completely rusty but the
handle cable and pins of the same origin have very beautiful aspect,
after tested these old handle, they are always conform to the TSO as
like brand new, but they have 40 years old.
The stainless steel cable 7x7x19 is best beacause this cable is very
flexible and more easy to work.
I install these cables in 1999 on my monowheel; it is interesting if
your aircraft is parked near the coast (sea) or if the place where you
park is very wet.
Note the effort on these cables on the Europa are very low.
Also if it is possible install a shrink thermo molding sleeve over the
Nicopress because they are sometimes agressive.
I agree with David, my cables run into the teflon sleeve, not in full
lenght but to 3 meters inside the cockpit module where there is friction
possible to others components for protection.

Michel AUVRAY
Mono 145

Le 02/03/2014 18:48, David Joyce a crit :