Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 17:04:28
Hi Graham,
Wish I knew if it was what was supplied by Europa. I=92ve had the kit
too long to know, things have been moved around, and I don=92t recall
the Europa stuff ever being labelled.
Maybe someone else might be able to clarify. Worst part is, it looks old
even though it mightn=92t be. It reminds me of a Hills Hoist outside
clothes line cable, but I think that is more of an Aussie thing. I
actually don=92t have enough Nicopress sleeves now so I=92ll need more
of those anyway, so I can get some more pretty stuff ;-)
You normally use Stainless Steel cable by choice don=92t you??
TR

On 2 Mar 2014, at 10:18 am, GRAHAM SINGLETON
<grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Tony
> I'd say go ahead with the galvanised steel cable. It should be fine in
Oz, so long as you don't go

<tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>

> Gidday,
> I have gone through my fair share of cable, and consequently I have
bits everywhere. I have a roll of cable which appears to be galvanised,
or really dull Stainless Steel, which I believe doesn=92t happen. Why
have nice shiny Stainless, if it stains. So, the best advice I have to
figure out what is what is to use a magnet. The unknown roll of dull
cable I have is extremely attractive to the magnet, and the Stainless is
only slightly, but still is drawn towards the magnet on a really long
suspended run, like the length in the aft fuselage, towards the magnet
when it is mm away, but it still attracts it. So, this other roll I can
only imagine might have been that supplied by Europa, and I wouldn=92t
know because this roll has no product code or numbers on it.
> My question, whilst I=92d prefer to use Stainless just because it
doesn=92t look like it has been in the aircraft for a million years,
however the gal cable (or whatever it is) I am told is more durable
especially in terms of bends. This is a conservative approach from
gliders where control cabling can have acute bends, but we don=92t have
that. So, should I resurrect this roll of cable out of my waste bin and
use it, or should I replace it with Stainless Steel?