Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 10:14:14
Yes, stainless was developed for yachts, sea water contamination resistant.
 There isn't much bending in the Europa so no worries about fatigue.=0AMust
 be the multi strand stuff though, 7X19 springs to mind but anyway it's fin
e wire strands for flexibility.=0AGraham=0A=0AAlso be sure you use the righ
t crimps, plated I think, not plain copper. Get a second opinion, I not as
young as I once was!=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A F
rom: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0ATo: GRAHAM SINGLETON <graham
singleton@btinternet.com>; europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Sunday, 2 Mar
ch 2014, 6:04=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control
 Cable=0A =0A=0A=0AHi Graham,=0AWish I knew if it was what was supplied by
Europa. I=99ve had the kit too long to know, things have been moved a
round, and I don=99t recall the Europa stuff ever being labelled.=C2
-=0AMaybe someone else might be able to clarify. Worst part is, it looks
old even though it mightn=99t be. It reminds me of a Hills Hoist outs
ide clothes line cable, but I think that is more of an Aussie thing. I actu
ally don=99t have enough Nicopress sleeves now so I=99ll need m
ore of those anyway, so I can get some more pretty stuff ;-)=0AYou normally
 use Stainless Steel cable by choice don=99t you??=0ATR=0A=0A=0A=0A
=0AOn 2 Mar 2014, at 10:18 am, GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet
.com> wrote:=0A=0ATony=0A>I'd say go ahead with the galvanised steel cable.
 It should be fine in Oz, so long as you don't go=C2-=0A>ocean sailing wi
th it!=0A>Graham=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>_______________________________
_=0A>From:=C2-Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0A>To:=C2-europa-
list@matronics.com=C2-=0A>Sent:=C2-Saturday, 1 March 2014, 22:49=0A>Sub
ject:=C2-Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable=0A>=0A>=0A>
=0A>=0A>Gidday,=0A>I have gone through my fair share of cable, and conseque
ntly I have bits everywhere. I have a roll of cable which appears to be gal
vanised, or really dull Stainless Steel, which I believe doesn=99t ha
ppen. Why have nice shiny Stainless, if it stains. So, the best advice I ha
ve to figure out what is what is to use a magnet. The unknown roll of dull
cable I have is extremely attractive to the magnet, and the Stainless is on
ly slightly, but still is drawn towards the magnet on a really long suspend
ed run, like the length in the aft fuselage, towards the magnet when it is
mm away, but it still attracts it. So, this other roll I can only imagine m
ight have been that supplied by Europa, and I wouldn=99t know because
 this roll has no product code or numbers on it.=C2-=0A>My question, whil
st I=99d prefer to use Stainless just because it doesn=99t look
 like it has been in the aircraft for a million years, however the gal cabl
e (or whatever it is) I am told is more durable especially in terms of bend
s. This is a conservative approach from gliders where control cabling can h
ave acute bends, but we don=99t have that. So, should I resurrect thi
s roll of cable out of my waste bin and use it, or should I replace it with
 Stainless Steel?=0A>Thanks for any advice or help, and I appreciate all th
e help I=99ve got with this sofar.=C2-=0A>Regards=0A>Tony=C2-Rens
hawhttp://forums.matronics.com=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>href="http://www.ma
tronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europ
a-List=0Ahref="http://forums.matronics.com/";>http://forums.matronics.com
=0Ahref="http://www.matronics.com/contribution";>http://www.matronics.com/