Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable
From: Mike Baker <galahav@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 08:55:07
Mil-DTL-83420 is the general spec that describes the requirements flight co
ntrol cables=0A=C2-Composition A - Carbon steel, zinc, or tin over zinc c
oated=0Asteel cable is stronger and stiffer than corrosion resistant steel
=C2-=0A=C2-=0AMIL-DTL-83420/1 - Wire Rope, Flexible, Type I, Compositio
n A.=0A=C2-M83420/1-005 Indicates - Wire Rope, Flexible, Type I, Carbon S
teel,=0AConstruction; 7 x 19, Nominal Diameter 5/32=0A=C2-=0AComposition
B - Corrosion resistant steel=0AMIL-DTL-83420/2 - Wire Rope, Flexible, Type
 I, Composition B.=0A=C2-MIL-DTL-781 - Terminal, Wire Rope Swaging, Gener
al Specification for.=0A=C2-=0Ause this info to find the spec of cable yo
u have=0Athe nicopress is usable on either. best to ck spec on swaging =0A
=C2-=0Athe best place I know of for flight control cables is Mcfarlane av
iation (USA) =0Aalso a good source for other "stuff"=0A=C2-=0A=C2-=0A
=C2-=0A =0A=0A________________________________=0A From: GRAHAM SINGLETON
<grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>=0ATo: "europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-
list@matronics.com> =0ASent: Sunday, March 2, 2014 4:14 AM=0ASubject: Re: E
uropa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable=0A  =0A=0A=0AYes, stain
less was developed for yachts, sea water contamination resistant. There isn
't much bending in the Europa so no worries about fatigue.=0AMust be the mu
lti strand stuff though, 7X19 springs to mind but anyway it's fine wire str
ands for flexibility.=0AGraham=0A=0AAlso be sure you use the right crimps,
plated I think, not plain copper. Get a second opinion, I not as young as I
 once was!=0A=0A=0A=0A =0A=0A________________________________=0A From: Tony
 Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0ATo: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton
@btinternet.com>; europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Sunday, 2 March 2014,
6:04=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable=0A
  =0A=0A=0AHi Graham,=0AWish I knew if it was what was supplied by Europa.
I=99ve had the kit too long to know, things have been moved around, a
nd I don=99t recall the Europa stuff ever being labelled.=C2-=0AMay
be someone else might be able to clarify. Worst part is, it looks old even
though it mightn=99t be. It reminds me of a Hills Hoist outside cloth
es line cable, but I think that is more of an Aussie thing. I actually don
=99t have enough Nicopress sleeves now so I=99ll need more of t
hose anyway, so I can get some more pretty stuff ;-)=0AYou normally use Sta
inless Steel cable by choice don=99t you??=0ATR=0A=0A=0A=0A=0AOn 2 Ma
r 2014, at 10:18 am, GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> wrot
e:=0A=0ATony=0A>I'd say go ahead with the galvanised steel cable. It should
 be fine in Oz, so long as you don't go=C2-=0A>ocean sailing with it!=0A>
Graham=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>________________________________=0A>From:
=C2-Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0A>To:=C2-europa-list@matro
nics.com=C2-=0A>Sent:=C2-Saturday, 1 March 2014, 22:49=0A>Subject:=C2
-Europa-List: Europa or Stainless Steel Control Cable=0A>=0A>=0A>--> Euro
pa-List message posted by: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>=0A>=0A>G
idday,=0A>I have gone through my fair share of cable, and consequently I ha
ve bits everywhere. I have a roll of cable which appears to be galvanised,
or really dull Stainless Steel, which I believe doesn=99t happen. Why
 have nice shiny Stainless, if it stains. So, the best advice I have to fig
ure out what is what is to use a magnet. The unknown roll of dull cable I h
ave is extremely attractive to the magnet, and the Stainless is only slight
ly, but still is drawn towards the magnet on a really long suspended run, l
ike the length in=0A the aft fuselage, towards the magnet when it is mm awa
y, but it still attracts it. So, this other roll I can only imagine might h
ave been that supplied by Europa, and I wouldn=99t know because this
roll has no product code or numbers on it.=C2-=0A>My question, whilst I
=99d prefer to use Stainless just because it doesn=99t look lik
e it has been in the aircraft for a million years, however the gal cable (o
r whatever it is) I am told is more durable especially in terms of bends. T
his is a conservative approach from gliders where control cabling can have
acute bends, but we don=99t have that. So, should I resurrect this ro
ll of cable out of my waste bin and use it, or should I replace it with Sta
inless Steel?=0A>Thanks for any advice or help, and I appreciate all the he
lp I=99ve got with this sofar.=C2-=0A>Regards=0A>Tony=C2-Renshawh
ttp://forums.matronics.com=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>href="http://www.matron
ics.com/Navigator?Europa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-Li
st=0Ahref="http://forums.matronics.com/";>http://forums.matronics.com=0Ahr
ef="http://www.matronics.com/contribution";>http://www.matronics.com/contr