RE: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider wings

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider wings
From: David DeFord <deford.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 06:03:17

Ron,

We did switch back and forth between short and long wings, accumulating 90
hours on the long wings, before we heard about the Mod 78 structural
problems and quit using them.

The long wings would not fit into the fuselage of N135TD with the taller
spar tangs of Mod 78.  Building according to the current instructions 15
years ago (modified shortly thereafter), our tank is set low enough that the
"shelf" at the top front interfered with the short wing spar tangs.  I
heated the tank locally to deform it enough to pass the starboard tang, and
then had to do it again for the slightly taller long wing spars.  We would
have to cut open the cockpit module and replace the tank in order to gain
enough clearance for the modified spars, which we are not prepared to do.
Since the long wings are of no use to us, we would be happy to sell them at
just about any price to someone who could use them (after applying Mod 78,
of course).

Dave DeFord
N135TD