RE: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider wings

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider wings
From: David DeFord <deford.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 15:45:47

> Why would you need to change bungee tension between long and short
> wings as is hinted at from #6?

It isn't necessary to change the tension between long and short wings, but
the difference in retraction/extension force is significant.  Particularly
at higher speeds, aerodynamic forces on the flaps push them toward the
retracted position, giving a reduction in retraction force (and an increase
in extension force) toward the "down" end of the cycle.  After changing from
short wings to long, I am always surprised for the first few flights that I
have to push forward on the gear lever to start it moving after releasing it
---From the latched-down gate.  Of course, the difference in force is minimal
near the fully retracted position.  A builder of a dedicated motorglider
might choose to optimize the bungee tension differently from an airplane
with short wings only, but we did not adjust the tension when we added the
long wings to our flying short-wing XS mono.

Dave DeFord
N135TD