RE: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider wings

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider wings
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 20:23:01
Just a note on sink rates in 419PL:
>From my 1000 miles in the MG (copies in Europa Flyer or my website www.cust
omflightcreations.com accessories and tips look under techniques).
Sink Rates observed: Engine off=2C prop feathered from one test flight:

90 Kts 400fpm
=0A

80Kts 300fpm
=0A

70 Kts 300 fpm
=0A

65 Kts 250 fpm
=0A

55 Kts 350 fpm trimmed nearly full aft.

Since Mod 78 makes the spar the same height from root spar to the tip of th
e spar=2C it should not be a major problem normally.  Careful construction
only thickens the spar about 1/16 of an inch.  I am sorry Dave=2C that your
 tank was put in too low.  If the interior is not hard to remove=2C conside
r moving the tank up.  Yes its a mess but in a week it could be done.  I kn
ow it is easy for me to say=2C as one mistake and the cost of a new tank ge
ts figured in makes the job a real knuckle biter.

I do not do tech support for Europa any longer=2C but if you come to Sun 'n
 Fun (Site 33 this year) you can look over what we have done to ensure the
Mod 78 spar clears controls=2C includes a spar cup/support for rigging ease
=2C and I'll show how to remove the crosslink bolts and add countersunk scr
ews which preserves all the structure.  If you can't make the show=2C then
email me off line and I'll send you what I have.

I supplied Europa with drawings on modifying the flap push rod to clear the
 spars as that is a real problem on the mono.  Trigear is a piece of cake.
 Keep the spars thin and it will work.

The extra 100 pounds the glider wing adds can make the plane a single seat
only aircraft unless you built light.  It does move right along if you go r
eally high=2C but below 10=2C000 MSL it is basically an economical 120 knot
 bird.  You can really stretch the range with the long wings.

Once the health becomes a concern=2C it is also quite nice to fly as a glid
er with no medical.

Regards=2C
Bud Yerly