Europa-List: Re: Motorglider wings

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider wings
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 06:42:01

It might be useful, as you work with LAA, to have a US FAA approved example of
how to handle the issue of Motorglider or Airplane.

Our Airworthiness Certificate states "Amateur Built Aircraft/Motor Glider" and
our Operating Limitations reference our program letter in which we stated that

"This aircraft is designed to be operated in two configurations as follows:
Aircraft Configuration, 27 ft wing span with flaps
Motor Glider Configuration, 47.5 ft wing span with air brakes

The pilot in command of this aircraft shall comply with the applicable sections
of FAR Part 61 prior to operating the aircraft in any of the above referenced
configurations."

We appreciate seeing the letter from Francis Donaldson addressing concerns about
switching wings - good things to think about as we proceed with our glider
wings.
Can anyone tell us what item 17 is about?  One issue not mentioned is that
the flap actuation rod on a monowheel interferes with the Mod 78 enhanced
spar, maybe no one in the UK with a mono is retrofitting glider wings yet?

Jim & Heather Butcher
N241BW

Read this topic online here: