Re: Europa-List: Re: One wing Low

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: One wing Low
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:20:23
       Photo E-mail   View slideshow | Download images
About easy trims.
If it can go wrong, it will, and the more complex and wonderful, the
more chance for extensive troubleshooting problems.

I prefer a built in aileron tab into the aileron with the servo attached
and aileron balanced.  Looks and operates well.  a 10x1.5 inch tab will
trim off any load and only deflect a very small amount keeping drag to a
minimum.  However in an aircraft with completed and painted surfaces I
have used a spring system.

I usually try to find easy ways to make dumb simple, bullet proof
control systems that can't be goofed up.

Here is an item I designed, built and installed on a customers aircraft.
 It uses a simple spring set on either side of the stick with a mac
servo to pull left and right on one side and the other side has a simple
bolt up system.  The servo can be replaced by a screw or lever system
with a locking ratcheted lever.  The bracket on the stick is .060
minimum 6061 T 6 bent on the grain.  I normally install autopilots in
our aircraft and the roll servo goes under the seat or in the tunnel and
attaches to the bracket also.  The trick is getting the spring and servo
arm both attached.  Break out the OR spacers on hand and nuts, bolts,
washers and patience.

The  spring rate is the tough part.  Don't get it too tight or it
stiffens the stick too much.  At the base of the stick cradle, you only
need about 1 pound per inch max to trim a well rigged aircraft.  I
prefer springs that are 3 inches long.  Use any length you want but make
sure the extensions and hardware combination you use to attach to the
servo or lever cannot bind. Without a trim servo motor or autopilot
servo it is very simple to do.  Autopilot servos have no trouble with
the system.

The next item that this requires is a simple fiberglass box cover so you
can't step on it...  3 layers of bid with a Reduxed angle on the floor
and seat front keeps the cover set in place, but I glass or bolt in the
attachment brackets to assure that if stepped on it doesn't move.
Obviously the cover has to have a U in the center to clear the stick.

I don't have photo's as they are the property of my customers, but it is
pretty simple.  I prefer not to have an autopilot so that simplifies the
trim.  Works too.

Regards,
Bud Yerly