Re: Europa-List: Re: Mod 73

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Mod 73
From: nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 02:02:44
Sage advice Jim.

If anyone has any doubts as to what tailplane flutter can do, take a
look at the NTSB report on the "Galloping Ghost" incident at Reno last year.

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2012/AAB1201.pdf

The high-res photos of the distortion to the rear fuselage give a clue
as to the forces involved.
I had the misfortune to witness a plane go down right in front of me at
Reno a few years ago as a result of an overstressed elevator trim tab
letting go. What is hard to appreciate is how quickly it happens - from
the onset of flutter to hitting the ground is just seconds. The sheer
violence of the destruction is sickening.

Nigel