Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:42:03
Bud=0A=0Ayour- explanation of the problems is excellent. I haven't done m
uch work with Europas for years but I have =0A=0Abeen working on my Long EZ
. I can confirm that exhaust extraction is very effective. I can run full t
hrottle=0Astatic on the ground for up to ten minutes on a warm English day.
 =0A=0ADo you know Steve Volovsek? I think he is based in Florida, his Long
 is the one I copied, we have the same =0A=0ALycoming-engine and his cool
ing air inlets are quite small. No slipstream either when static! Have a lo
ok at the attached photos.=0AIt's worth noting that the cross sectional are
a of the gaps between the cooling fins is pretty small, the important thing
 is recovering enough pressure=0Afrom the inlet ambient (total energy) pres
sure to force the air through them. Worth looking at for the Jab.=0AThe cen
ter inlet btw is to the throttle body. Total cooling air inlet is less than
 30 square inches for a 160 bhp air cooled engine.=0A=0AOne thing to note,
it's important not to have hot air flowing down the side of the fuselage, i
t needs mixing with cooler air.=0A=0Aregards=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A_____________
___________________=0A From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>=0ATo: europa-list
@matronics.com; ken@ardenrich.co.uk =0ASent: Sunday, 10 June 2012, 5:21=0AS
ubject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help=0A =0A=0A=0A=0AI have wo
rked these issues over the last six years and we just finished =0Athree mor
e aircraft at the shop, all Rotax and we-reworked a clients Jab =0A3300,
and all the Rotax's have no cooling issues and the Jab is tolerable except
=0Ataxi times-must be-short, 10 or 15 minutes max-or it gets a bit
=0Atoo hot for a takeoff on a summer day.- =0A-=0AI'll do another brief
ing/article on the Jabiru before long.=0A-Regards, =0ABud Yerly