Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Contact detail & Help
From: Carl Meek <carlmeek@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 09:48:19
Hi Bud,

I would love to hear what you have to say on the Jabiru, my engineer is
about to start modifications to the cowl, cylinder baffles, etc =AD our goal
is to try and improve CHT temperatures.  While we're at it, I'd also like t
try and lean the engine and get some  better economy, mine is a guzzler.

I've already chatted with various people, including Doug at Jabiru, and I
personally feel that my own aircraft's solutions are (a) sealing off oil
cooler to prevent airflow entering the lower cowl and (b) putting a lip on
the front of the cowl exit in order to help with the exit of air entering
the main 2 holes by the prop.  However my engineer (who is a fluid dynamics
expert) disagrees with this approach and doesn't feel it will work - I need
to get more information from him on why.  In photographs of my aircraft in
the flare, a similar attitude to a climb, you can see how forward airflow
enters the bottom of the cowl, so to me it looks a no-brainer that we need
lip.

Regards,
-Carl.