Re: SV: Europa-List: Fuel Sender

Subject: Re: SV: Europa-List: Fuel Sender
From: Carl Meek <carlmeek@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:53:07
Hi Svein,

I'm really not interested in another instrument =AD the Dynon EMS-D10A does
all of that plus more =AD I get live fuel flow, fuel level, litres used,
litres remaining.  The only problem with my current setup is the float
sender =AD it only seems to reliably read between 20litres and 48 litres,
anything more or less than that doesn't register.  Also, it really bounces
around in certain situations like a prolonged climb where it under-reads
terribly.

The Dynon totals up the fuel used, but it's not infallible =AD for example if
I put a jerry can into the system and forget to update the level count, or
if the fuel flow meter goes wrong.  I'm looking for redundancy so I can
cross check litres used with the litres left in the tank.  I like to have
the sight tube (unreliable below about 30 litres), plus the totaliser, plus
a level readout.

This became important just recently when we had a small "fuel crisis" panic
buying in the UK.  All the mogas ran out, and my only option was to fly to
field with avgas.  Fuel was low, so I emptied a few litres from various
jerry cans, and I had to unscrew the sender plate and look into the tank to
check I had enough to safely take off!

A friend runs a capacitance gauge from the link I posted earlier and
believes it to be very accurate indeed.  For me, it will serve as one of
three ways to check fuel level.

Regards,
-Carl.