Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp after Sales Service

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp after Sales Service
From: houlihan <houlihan@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:25:51
Hi Jos.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
I think you have cleared up my problem I could not see how a limit switch
failure could cause the blade angle to change if the blade was within its
normal operating range. Yes a limit switch failure could allow the blade
to travel beyond its normal limit but the pitch change motor would still
have to be driven ( commanded or uncommanded ) to move the blades beyond
their normal range. This was the part I did not understand. As the Smart
controller in its normal ie not in manual control, acts as a closed loop
servo system with a given engine RPM as its target it  should have increased
the pitch as the RPM approached the target, I may be wrong but I would NOT
have expected the blades to reach their fine pitch limit at that phase in
the flight .

As to my expertise I do not claim to be an expert in anything at all. But I
do have experience, I was trained by the Royal Air Force as an airborne
radar technician and spent ten years ( admittedly forty years ago !)
working in what was then Signals Command on a electronic counter measures
squadron. On leaving the Air Force I was for seven years a Flight Trials
Engineer with British Aerospace military aircraft division commissioning
developing and maintaining what was then the worlds first digital airborne
data acquisition system. In later years I worked on large format printing
systems using both analogue and digital servo systems.

We have to accept that homebuilt aircraft are not as reliable and safe as a
fully certified one and we therefore take on extra risk with our types of
aircraft. In the UK we try minimise the risk by having our association
double check that our alterations from the standard design appear to be safe
and the changes are justified.

You mention the RPM reached 6,200 just a little story I was told by a friend
who is no longer with us. He operated out of a small strip and set his
propeller to reach max RPM of 5,800 and flew it like that for some years he
then had reason to have his RPM gauge calibrated and found that what he
thought was 5,800 was actually 6,200. his gauge had never been calibrated
and was under reading

Enjoy your second life Jos

best regards

Tim H