Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp after Sales Service

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp after Sales Service
From: Jos Okhuijsen <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:34:48

David, good friend,

Thanks for your honest explanation of your bias towards Woodcomp. Your
position, as their unpaid salesman must be awkward, and it must be very
difficult to change your position.
  I on my turn have to admit that it has taken a long time to recover
mentally and be able to reason clearly and stronly about the accident.
Your next quote takes us to the cultprit of our difference of
interpretation of the facts.

"and it was apparent that the blades were close to zero pitch, so that
regardless of how they got there it would be safe to say that a similar
accident could not happen with an SR3000 that does not have the reverse
option (which is not accepted by the LAA following your accident), as
the standard props have not only electronic stops at the fine limits but
also mechanical ones. "

According to woodcomp, invited by the inspector, the blades were at a
flyable pitch. Remembering the lack of thrust, and the overrevving, they
must have been at a positive angle, NOT REVERSE, but with a pitch not
enough to stay airborne.
Why stopped the motor at that blade position and not later or sooner?
Because, at the same moment the microswitch should cut in, it burned
with a short circuit to ground, defying it's purpose and allowing the
motor to run further. Next,  adding throttle, the controller jumped in,
reversing the polarity of the motor. The voltage now came direct, not
anymore over the motor, on the microswitch and the breaker popped.

Blaming the accident on the reversbility of the prop, thus assuming that
a mechanical endstop makes it impossible for the prop to turn too fine
to fly is mute as long nobody ever has checked that mechanical endstop.

Sofar i have not heard of anybody who has checked this mechanical
endstop on the non-reversable prop. Unless somebody, preferrably you,
shorts or otherwise disables the end switches, and runs the motor till
it jams, relying on the mechanical stop is not very wise to say the
least. It would be also interesting to know if the gears would survive
such a try.

Has the LAA approved the feathering version? There is no mechanical
endstop on the course side. Even more people will be relying on non
reliable microswitches.

I think it was Mark of Smartavionics who told be about Woodcomp banning
its product. Mark, correct me if i am wrong.

Next one:
"The microswitches have changed over the years largely to improve their
mechanical security but whether they are waterproof or not seems a bit
irrelevant. I have flown through prolonged rain and found no problems,
and you would expect that any water finding its way into a structure
rotating at 2000+ rpm would very rapidly find its way out again. If you
had parked the plane under a waterfall and the spinner was full of water
before start up you might expect to notice problems when you switched on
and went though the recommended pitch change check. "

I read that as "there have been problems with the microswitches over the
years". I challenge you to find any application were microswitches are
used in open air. None are to be found in cars for example. As for
flying in rain, and the behavior of water and air on a spinning service,
have a look at any centrifugal pump. The backplate of the spinner, where
the switches are and the big end opening in the cowl form such a pump.
The rotating plate sheds water and air from it's side and sucks more
in.....  As for the pitch range check: The only thing you do is check
that at that moment things are ok. It does not improve the quality of
these switches.

Apart from that everybody will hopefully understand the importance of
using weatherproof components in weather. There are classes for humidity
for electrical components and appliances. Those microswitches are
manufactured for dry room use. And, let's not forget, they are heavily
underrated in current as well.  Proper switches for the application
would physically never fit on that backplate.

I hope the LAA will review its approval. I don't quite understand how
this item passed in the first place.

Regards,

Jos