Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp after Sales Service

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp after Sales Service
From: PHILLIPS I <ivor.phillips@ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:19:55
Hi Guys

*Woodcomp SR3000 with reverse only*

Last year flying from Prestwick to Lydd in rain and very gusty conditions

I had my SR3000 motor burn out which took my pitch to fully fine and on to
the stops,

It was very sudden and certainly got my attention, but unlike Jos I had bee
in the cruise

120 kts and had time and speed to realise that I could keep the aircraft
flying,

Yes the Tachometer went into the red at first but as my airspeed dropped to
70 kts

I could maintain height at 5500 rpm, I made a precautionary landing at
headcorn,

The complete Propeller was sent the my local Woodcomp agent, asking them to
carefully

Check the limit switches,  it turned out the switches and diodes were fine
but the motor

Had burnt out, this was subsequently changed, I had done 300 hours before
this incident

And assumed  because I always used auto when flying this had over worked th
pitch motor, especially in gusty wind conditions, since my propeller return
to service I make a point of flying it manually  if the conditions are poor
,

I have another 100 hours on the new motor and so far it is performing very
well

I also have the knowledge that a repeat of the problem would not mean an of
airfield landing,

Mark at Smart avionics couldn=92t have been more helpful, while waiting for
the new motor he heat soaked and bench tested my controller with not faults
found,

With a offer of a complete replacement unit if I wasn=92t happy,

My original controller is still working flawlessly and I have  a 100%
confidence

In its construction and software,

Ivor

G-IVER