Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp after Sales Service

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Woodcomp after Sales Service
From: Jos Okhuijsen <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:10:06

Sorry to remember you all that my Woodcomp prop nearly took my life.

I hate to repeat my words, but memories seem to be short.
The propeller i had was equipped with microswitches, which were and
,after a change,  still are not designed for outside use.
Nethertheless these switches are mounted on the backplate, open for
weather.
These switches are designed for AC 240 V, not for DC 12 V, and the Amp
rating is way below the current going through them.
The cross-over diodes are specified for less then half the current drawn.
Even when activated only occasionally, it's a design flaw.

Know to me are 3 incidents with short circuiting micro-switches, both
other pilots could land their plane without damage to their plane or
themselves.  An incident with a loose gear, causing one of the blades at
a totally diffent angle then the others was reported to me, and never
made it to this forum. This seems to be the happy family show, which i
am now spoiling. :-(
It may well be that there are others, or people never fly in rain. or
are just very lucky.

In my case, to the best of my knowledge, a microswitch short circuited,
taking the prop to a feather situation, shortly after take-off. I had
been flying in heavy rain for hours the other day.

Unless thing have changed is Jyrki the only one who understands English,
if he's not available you are on your own.

After my incident Woodcomp banned the Smart Avionic controller. What
that means is unclear to me. As far as i know, they never got there own
controller working decently.

As for the figures, i've had trouble to keep  up with a 912 with a fixed
prop and i was flying with a 914 and a Woodcomp 3000. The only good
figure seems to be the price.

So in short: Save a few, risk your plane and life.
The choice is yours....

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen
(enjoying his second life :-)