RE: Europa-List: Door locked inflight by pip-pins.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Door locked inflight by pip-pins.
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:12:32

Raimo=2C

Yes=2C I accept your reasoning=2C and I am surprised to read that Cessnas h
ave internal locks. Their checklists probably say to not have them locked o
n takeoff and landing. My PFA inspector would not have approved the mod=2C
although=2C my passenger door does have a pip pin lock for locking on the g
round only. Of course=2C if I were to end up inverted=2C which is very like
ly in a trigear=2C in an otherwise successful emergency landing=2C it would
n't make any difference whether doors were locked or not=2C as the doors co
uldn't be opened anyway=2C except with brute force. I keep meaning to get o
ne of those emergency exit hammers just for that nightmare situation=2C and
 to reroute the fuel vent to the bottom of the fuselage.

Regarding CO alarms=2C I can only recommend one which shows any presence of
 the gas in ppm=2C and with a high pitched alarm when a safe figure and/or
duration is exceeded. You can get them in any hardware store.

I had a case not long ago=2C when a loose exhaust pipe caused some carbon m
onoxide to leak into the cabin. On the other hand=2C it also confirmed that
 fumes which sometimes enter via the flap slots on landing did not register
 on the instrument.

Karl