RE: Europa-List: Fuel Pumps Rotax 914 System.(Pierburg )

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel Pumps Rotax 914 System.(Pierburg )
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:55:12

Hi! Ron
Engine quit over the Pennine Mountains, 3hours after 2 x 200 mile sea
crossings ! (and I would have preferred the sea !) The engine started
immediately on switching to reserve, but on strip down there was more crud
in the reserve pump than the main pump ! But with the reserve tank getting
all initial fillings that doesn't surprise me, the main should always be
less susceptible to having any contamination. (Still doesn't explain how the
gascolators didn't stop it)
The pumps are arranged as per the Europa fuel circuit plan to work on a
parallel basis with the one way valves likewise arranged.
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. Reserve got me to a suitable airfield
except Leeds Bradford International offered me a runway (20 miles).
Dropped both gascolator bowls off ...nothing found. Flew home airfield to
airfield and on initial check, before any disturbances, both pumps and
return were running at 150 litres per hour.
I'm hoping it is not a repeat of my tank finger filter experience of 5 years
ago where a ball of fibre dangled in front of the badly drilled intersection
of the original tank connectors eventually plugging it (wash basin type
effect) I now have the Singleton connectors  and improved finger filters
installed.
Problem is you can not reverse flow the finger filters to clean them of this
type of contamination.(just shouldn't be there in the first place!)
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG