Europa-List: Fuel Pumps Rotax 914 System.(Pierburg )

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel Pumps Rotax 914 System.(Pierburg )
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:37:44
Bob,

In my opinion having two filters in serie is unnecessary and may even be
dangerous:
If the mesh size of the pump filter is equal or bigger than the one of
your main filter or gascolator located upstream, then it is useless,
unless some bad stuff is introduced in the hose in between during
installation or maintenance.
If the mesh size of the pump filter is smaller than the one of your main
filter or gascolator, then it can become clogged by particles not
blocked by the main filter. This can happen very quickly as the
filtering area of the Pierburg pump filter is very small. Moreover,
there is no way to visually check that pump filter, other than
disconnecting the hose and removing the filter element with the risk of
damaging it as you did.
My advice is to get rid of the pump filters and take all precautions
during fuel system installation and maintenance so that no pollution is
introduced downstream of the main filters or gascolators.

Additionnally here is some information I found on mesh sizes:
Andair gascolator GAS 375: 70 micrometers (source: Andair catalog)
Pierburg electrical fuel pump: no indication on mesh size of the
included filter; however they recommand the use of a 60 micrometer mesh
filter upstream the pump. (source: Pierburg fuel pumps mounting
instructions)
Europa supplied in line filters: anybody knows?

Regards
Remi Guerner

<<<<<I have managed to very slightly damage the "thimble" filter at the
inlet
side of one of my pumps. That was a real bum thing to do but to heap
further
"coals of fire" on my head I find that they are not a spares listed part
and
no one not even Rotax or Peirburg the pump manufacturer will supply a
replacement.
It is therefore necessary to buy a new pump ! What a con. if I ever
heard of