Re: Europa-List: How to license/register a Tri-gear trailer?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: How to license/register a Tri-gear trailer?
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:46:51

Hi Frans,

some thoughts more:

With "moveable device" there is no trailer insurance at all - towing cars
insurance
covers everything.you need in traffic. Aircrafts hull insurance covers nothing
when in public road and an accident happens.

And you are probably right: if somebody hits your plane by his car - they will
claim it was your (trailers and planes) fault. And I do understand. Many drivers
when they notice A PLANE ON THE ROAD just forget they are drivers and only
looked with bulging eyes this amazing sight they have never seen before.

I have taken an extra insurance which covers my plane everytime I move it from
my home via specified and named route to the airport (that is about 20 km).
I use only small roads and my strong recommendation is - avoid highways and
motorways
if possible!
I never tow without a "safety" car of my friend following just behind the
trailer.
He is watching everything is ok and "protecting" my plane - nobody can drive
between
he and plane.

That is very valuable: once he called me that trailers (monowheel) ramp has
dropped
down and plane was just moving anxiously between the wings. Only the tail
wheel lock keeped it there. Happily I had sideguards there and no damages. Later
I completed ramp security locks. Without safety car...I do not want even imagine
what could have happen.

For extra safety I stop every 5 to 10 km to check all is OK.

As I wrote I feel trailering is the most riskiest part of flying (to damage the
plane). At least for me it has been so.

Tow safe.

Raimo OH-XRT