Europa-List: Fuel return line attachment point with 912UL

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel return line attachment point with 912UL
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 13:12:50
I am just returning from a wonderfull  two week vacation in Florida. It
was a pleasure to meet with all Europaers at SnF.
That is why I am so late to add my contribution to this thread.

After installation of my 912S engine back in 2005, I made some
measurements of the return flow using a stopwatch and a calibrated
plastic can receiving the returned fuel. This was done on the ground
with the engine stopped and the electric pump on. This is what I found:
- with the .7 millimeter restrictor supplied by Europa:  12 liters/hour
with fuel pressure 4 PSI
- with a .35 millimeter restrictor as specified by Rotax:  3,5
liters/hour with fuel pressure 4,8 PSI
>From my records, the following in flight fuel pressures (with the
electric fuel pump off) were measured:
- with the .7 millimeter restrictor, cruising at 7500 ft: 3 PSI
- with the .35 millimeter restrictor, cruising at 2000-3000 ft: 3,2 to
3,8 PSI
- with the .35 millimeter restrictor, cruising at 11500-12000 ft: 3,5
PSI
Due to the lower fuel pressures recorded in flight, I assume the return
flow is  lower than what I measured on the ground.
This seems to be consistent with what Svein measured below.
Hope that helps.

Regards

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL

<<<<If you use the standard Europa supplied restrictor in the fuel
return line
---From 912S, the return flow is an amazingly high 10 liters (approx) / a
little less than 3 USG per hour even with full fuel tank pressure head
on
the return line.  >>>>>>