Re: Europa-List: How to license/register a Tri-gear trailer?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: How to license/register a Tri-gear trailer?
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 21:31:57
Hi Frans

I have been there and had exactly same problems.
I imported original Europa factory trailer from Germany.

Solution: in Finnish Road Traffic Law there is a group they call like
"moveable devices".
I just named my trailer to be a moveable device!
That means no oblication to register and no insurances and I am free to
make any modifications.

So, my trailer is now an experimental trailer and I have added for
example second axle and so on.

Conditions:

1) a red triangle must be fixed to the trailer back instead of register
plate.
2) all the cargo must be removable only by tools (I have to use a set of
spanner tools to take Europa away)
4) speed limit 40 km/h (nobody cares, I prefer 60 or 70 km/h is max)

Look next time those huge trailerable traffic signs what they use in
road work there.
I assume they are not registered also in Netherland. They are moveable
devices then.
They trailer also giant boats from harbour to harbour by unregistered
trailers (=moveable device then).

One extra advantage: my trailer=B4s MTOW (maximum trail off weight!)
loaded with Europa is more than 750 kgs.
My poor trailer is brakeless and normally brakes are necessary then but
because it=B4s moveable device, no matter and nobody cares.

I was once in a traffic stop check and policeman asked "what the hell is
that?"
I just answered "cannot you see - it is a flying trailer!" and so he was
happy and I was free to head to airport.

After this pic (attachment) I have add several extras like floor. It=B4s
empty weight is around 500 kgs now.

I hope this helps - let me know.

Tow safe - it is the riskiest part of flying.

Raimo OH-XRT