Re: Europa-List: First engine run; what is normal?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First engine run; what is normal?
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:16:42

Frans Veldman wrote:

> Hi Justin,
> I have now about 2 hours on the engine, and it is starting to cool down
> considerably. Can't tell of course whether this is due to some cooling
> modifications I made, or because the engine is now a little less tight.

Frans
Engine "break in" as they say in the US, should be done at relatively
high power settings. 60% minimum.
Running at low power can cause glazing of cylinders and the piston rings
won't polish squarely unless they are properly loaded. My understanding
is that if loading on the rings reverses they will wear barrel shaped
and start pumping oil.
A long delivery flight on a new Cessna at best economy speeds usually
resulted in a new airplane with an engine that burned oil.
Graham