Re: Europa-List: First engine run; what is normal?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First engine run; what is normal?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:54:37

Hi Karl,

> I don't know the 914, but your coolant temperature seems to indicate a
> problem. Usually, it is one of the three:

I think the problem is the radiator setup, combined with a new, tight,
engine. So far, could not find any fault in the cooling system. CHT's (I
measure four) are equal too. With a small change in the cooling setup I
got already far better results.

> For carb balancing I used an electronic indicator from a car parts shop.

I used a manifold pressure gauge from a Cessna Skymaster with a front
and rear engine. Has dual needles. Works nicely to the level of just a
half inch Hg. Does it help to go more precise than that?

Also, today it didn't seem as bad as yesterday. It looks like the wind
has some effect on it, which I can imagine with a 2 bladed prop. Or
maybe I'm getting used to it. ;-)

Frans