Re: Europa-List: First engine run; what is normal?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First engine run; what is normal?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:45:58

Frans Veldman wrote:

>> You may get slightly better cooling on the ground by coarsening your
>> prop to push more air though the radiators.
>
> Ah, ok. That might be helpfull. Have conducted all my tests so far with
> the prop on fine. Will try this today.

Started up today with a cold engine, ambient temperature around 15
degrees Celcius, pop slightly on coarse, ran 2000 rpm until boiling
point. Got 13 minutes out of it...

Is that normal?

The bad thing is that after these 13 minutes I think the oil is still
somewhat too cold to ask for full power...

Hate to think about warmer weather.

I guess I have to modify the cowling, and use the lower part of the
cowling as a ramp for the radiators. This will probably give more drag
in flight, but I think I need to be able to spend more time on the
ground before take off. And being able to conduct a run up would also be
nice.

--
Frans Veldman