Re: Europa-List: First engine run; what is normal?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First engine run; what is normal?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:33:32

Hi Kevin,

> My 914 idles smoothly at 1800-2000 and I have it set idle as low as
> 1500, which can be helpful in slowing during landing.

Ok, apparently I was somewhat mislead by the statement in the Europa
manual, where an idle speed of 1200-1400 rpm was recommended. This
suggested to me that the Rotax should be able to idle reliably within
this range (and probably less reliable at even lower idle speeds) Above
1400 rpm my Rotax idles fine, so this indicates that my engine is not
that bad after all. ;-) Will set the limit to 1500 now, and only use it
for landing, and use higher idles for ground running.

> You may get slightly better cooling on the ground by coarsening your
> prop to push more air though the radiators.

Ah, ok. That might be helpfull. Have conducted all my tests so far with
the prop on fine. Will try this today.

> That was cool when it fired right up, eh?

That was a nice milestone indeed! The whole event was uneventfull. ;-)
Nice to finally see all those instruments coming to life, and get some
airflow over the fuselage!

--
Frans Veldman