Re: Europa-List: Bouncing Mono Classic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Bouncing Mono Classic
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:13:40

Erich Trombley wrote:

> Hello Frank,
>
> I  I have had some really nice landings and some not so nice. During
> the flare I attempt to keep the plane flying as long as possible
> before allowing the tail wheel to contact the runway first...stick
> back and she is down.  If she comes down too earlier then a bounce is
> inevitable.
>
> Check that you have the shock absorber installed.  Good luck.
>
> Erich Trombley

Frank
Erich is right. Don't let the plane land until the tail wheel touches,
then immediately pin the tail to the ground. You might get a tiny bounce
or two but nothing significant.
This is what I noticed in the early days, (flying an original Classic
with P51 style tail wheel) ;--
Just as you flare the wings come into ground effect and the tail loses
the downwash from the wings, result? nose drops. It feels as though the
airplane has stalled but it hasn't. Next, the mainwheel touches while
you still have flying speed, nose goes up with the bounce and she
balloons because you still have flying speed.
Because the airplane is at stall incidence when the tail is on the
ground, if the tail wheel touches first a serious bounce is not possible.
You must keep the stick moving back as you enter ground effect. This is
hard to remember while you're doing it but it works.
Graham