Europa-List: Bouncing Mono Classic

Subject: Europa-List: Bouncing Mono Classic
From: Justin Kennedy <justin@systemwise.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:42:45
Hi All,

Although an avid reader of this forum rarely feel that I have something
that would contribute to the body of knowledge when you guys are so on
top of what you are doing. However "bouncing mono classics" was
something that I was good at until it cost me a propeller (no change out
of =A31000).

My mono classic has the shock absorbers and the narrow tyre that never
rubs. It also has the brake calliper rotated to the back.

I run the Type at 18 to 24 psi.

After much deliberation and practice I get a slight skip 50% of the time
and grease it on about 45% of the time. The other 5% include "go
arounds" and ones I would call "untidy". This is a huge improvement on
my original tally. The main thing is that I am now 95% confident on the
approach and enjoy the fact that it is unlikely to cost me another
propeller and if it does I will deserve it.

While I agree with everything people have said, the speed over the
threshold and landing is very, very critical. I talked to many an
instructor and I am very grateful to the one that came up with the
following. The speed on the round out should decay through "the stall
speed plus 10% plus half the wind speed. I then add 10 kts to give the
threshold speed. My stall speed is 42Kts with full flaps, add 10% to
give 47kts (that's rounded up =BD a knot) and say, for example, a ten
knot head wind component gives 52kts. Add ten knots to that and I should
come over the threshold with the speed decaying through 62kts. I
normally come down the approach at 70kts more if it is needed. I let the
speed decay the over the threshold at the calculated speed. At this
point I remove the remaining throttle slowly so that the round out is
slightly less violent. Sudden removal of all throttle requires a
pronounced round out which makes the timing of the manoeuvre very
critical. Smooth removal of throttle removes the need to round out so
quickly. Round out too quickly you don't get the high rate of sink
required to sink through the ground effect with unfortunate
consequences.

Wow that sounds really complicated but it is how I arrived at an easy
relationship with my aeroplane.

So when the controller gives me the wind speed, I think 47+ the half the
wind speed or it's head on component if it is very crosswind. Add 10 kts
and that's what I am aiming to be decaying through when I cross the
threshold. (I add a PUF check here (Pitch - Undercarriage - Flap) After
that it is just practice. I used it in anger landing at Calais one day
with a 35kt wind and it resulted in an absolute greaser. In actual fact
the "no wind" situation is more difficult and the formula works for that
too.

I apologise if all this speed stuff is common knowledge but it wasn't
mentioned in any of the posts on the subject.

Happy Landings

Justin

Justin Kennedy

G-ZTED Europa Classic Monowheel 912S with Airmaster Prop