Re: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:54:49
Zwakie-

The other thing you need to keep in mind is insurance and resale of the
airplane.
Both will be much more difficult for the monowheel.  All of us have had to
make the choice.  I have a bunch of monowheel time in gliders but the Europa
is quite a bit different than them.  I went the trigear route, which I think was
the right way to go for me.

Jim Puglise A-283

From: "zwakie" <marcel@zwakie.com>

> I'm new here, so let me first introduce myself: my name is Marcel, 45 years of

> age and from The Netherlands. I am a private pilot license holder since a
> couple

> of years, currently about 125 hours in my logbook and thinking about buying my

> own plane. I have decided to go for an Europa (I guess you all the know the
> reasons why :wink: ), and instead of building one myself I will be looking for

> one that is for sale.
>
> During my search on the web I also visited the Air Accidents Investigations
> Branch website, and what kind of struck me there is the high number of
> incident-reports involving Europa's, even though the trend seems to be fewer

> incidents occur over time. I have read most of these reports (don't ask!) to

> learn more about Europa's and what to expect from this type of aircraft.
>
> One picture that evolved from these reports was that a relative high number of

> incidents occurred with the mono-gear type.
>
> Besides incidents with technical causes, a significant number of mono-gear
> incidents were caused by pilot error: not lowering and locking the gear or not

> being able to properly deal with cross- and/or gusty winds seem to be the two

> most common causes.
>
> What surprised me was that of these pilot-error incidents occurred with
> experienced pilots on the controls (experienced as in: lots and lots of hours,

> quite often also with hundreds of hours on type).
>
> Obviously incidents also occurred on the nose wheel types due to cross- and/or

> gusty winds, but the number of incidents were significantly lower.
>
> Well, I guess you will know where this is leading: I will have to decide
> between

> a mono-gear or nose-wheel Europa, and would like to find out if flying the
> mono-gear is that much more difficult as compared to the nose-wheel. I also
> would like to get some idea of how a nose-wheel Europa compares to f.i.
> Cessna's

> 152/172 in terms of handling it in take-off and landings.
>
> All information that you can provide to help me in my decision-making process
is
> highly appreciated!
>

> Visit - www.EuropaOwners.org

<DIV>Zwakie-</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The other thing you need to keep in mind is insurance and resale of the
airplane.&nbsp;
Both will be much more difficult for the monowheel.&nbsp; All of
us have had to make the choice.&nbsp; I have a bunch of monowheel time in
gliders
but the Europa is quite a bit different than them.&nbsp; I went the trigear
route, which I think was the right way to go for me.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim Puglise A-283</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px
solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From: "zwakie"
&lt;marcel@zwakie.com&gt;
<BR><BR>&gt; --&gt; Europa-List message posted by: "zwakie"
<MARCEL@ZWAKIE.COM><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I'm new here, so let me first introduce
myself: my name is Marcel, 45 years of <BR>&gt; age and from The Netherlands.
I am a private pilot license holder since a couple <BR>&gt; of years, currently
about 125 hours in my logbook and thinking about buying my <BR>&gt; own
plane. I have decided to go for an Europa (I guess you all the know the <BR>&gt;
reasons why :wink: ), and instead of building one myself I will be looking
for <BR>&gt; one that is for sale. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; During my search on the web
I also visited the Air Accidents Investigations <BR>&gt; Branch website, and
what kind of struck me there is the high number of <BR>&gt; incident-reports
involving Europa's, even though the trend seems to b
 e fewe
r <BR>&gt; incidents occur over time. I have read most of these reports (don't
ask!) to <BR>&gt; learn more about Europa's and what to expect from this type
of aircraft. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; One picture that evolved from these reports was
that a relative high number of <BR>&gt; incidents occurred with the mono-gear
type. <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Besides incidents with technical causes, a significant
number of mono-gear <BR>&gt; incidents were caused by pilot error: not lowering
and locking the gear or not <BR>&gt; being able to properly deal with cross-
and/or gusty winds seem to be the two <BR>&gt; most common causes. <BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; What surprised me was that of these pilot-error incidents occurred with
<BR>&gt; experienced pilots on the controls (experienced as in: lots and lots
of hours, <BR>&gt; quite often also with hundreds of hours on type). <BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; Obviously incidents also occurred on the nose wheel types due to
cross- and/or <BR>&gt; gusty winds, but the number of
  incid
  Searc