RE: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?
From: tony.bale@virgin.net <tony.bale@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:04:17

Marcel, welcome to the forum. I won't go on too much about the Europa other
than to say it is fun to fly, economical and fairly fast - you will
probably no most of this already. I fly a monowheel and would advise your
findings about crosswinds are correct, the mono can be tricky and I am told
by pilot's far more experienced than me, that they are quite different to
fly than other taildraggers.

I would strongly advise that if someone allows you to take off a mono
without an instructor or well experienced pilot on type with you, you tread
carefully.

Having said that, in normal conditions and wind direction it is quite
docile, but must hold your complete concentration at all times.

I would not consider a trike or conventional set up but that is simply my
choice, I like retractables. And if you do decide to take the plunge you
will love the flying, and I strongly recommend a VP prop - I sit behind an
Airmaster and think it's the best addition you can fit.

Interestingly at our strip we have a Tecnam Sierra, Sport Cruiser and RV9.
I have flown in formation with the Tecnam and can confirm it appears
significantly slower, The Sport Cruiser is yet to start its test programme
but I suspect will perform the same, and the RV9 is pretty much untouchable
!

Hope this helps, good luck !

Tony.