Re: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:51:45

zwakie a crit :
> Well, I guess you will know where this is leading: I will have to decide
> between
a mono-gear or nose-wheel Europa, and would like to find out if flying the
mono-gear is that much more difficult as compared to the nose-wheel. I also
would
like to get some idea of how a nose-wheel Europa compares to f.i. Cessna's
152/172 in terms of handling it in take-off and landings.

> All information that you can provide to help me in my decision-making process
is highly appreciated!

Zwakie,

The only thing we can take for granted is that nosewheel aircraft are
usueally easier on takeoff and landing than their taildragger
counterparts, especially in a strong crosswind.
I was never offered the opportunity to ride or fly a Europa, but my
answer to such a question would be "Arrange to fly both models in order
to get an opinion by yourself".
I'm sure you'll have no difficuly finding a Europa pilot willing to take
you on board to get a feeling of his dreambird.

If you are reasonably well trained and proficient, a reasonably
experienced pilot will have no problems leaving you the control for the
takeoff and landing in a well behaved airplane.
If he insists on keeping the controls, then ask another pilot in another
airplane ;-)

But don't launch in a project before having flown the model you are
considering. Or at the very least, have a competent and reliable pilot
friend fly it for you.

Best regards,
--
Gilles