Fwd: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?

Subject: Fwd: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?
From: David Buckley <wooburnaviation@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:39:55
 Hi Marcel

I had a Europa share from 1999 to 2005.  It was originally a mono, but due
to the fact that several pilots in our group were low houred, we converted
it to a trike, (in fact I think ours was one of the first customer trikes
flying).

It was certainly much easier to land and take off as a trike, but can still
be quite tricky until you have some experience - especially on bumpy grass
surfaces.

However, as Brian noted, the mono is better as a touring aircraft - slightly
faster, slightly less fuel consumption, and slightly lighter.  But all these
"slightly's" add up.

After a few years without a Europa ( I restored and flew a Luscombe 8A by
way of a change), I have just bought another example - and chose the mono!

I certainly would not advise flying the mono without either a good amount of
tailwheel time, or preferably an extensive type conversion course with an
experienced *Europa experienced* flying instructor/coach.

All the best with your decision.  Whichever you go for, the Europa is a
brilliant little aircraft to own and fly.

Dave

G-CCGW