Europa-List: Mode S transponders

Subject: Europa-List: Mode S transponders
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 19:11:53
Although Mode S is not yet mandatory in the UK it is already making its
presence felt in Europe making touring abroad more difficult. As I will
be doing an update on my panel this winter I have started looking at the
options for replacing my Garmin 320 transponder. The logical choice
would initially appear to be the Garmin 328. However having checked on
the specifications the 328 is too deep for the central avionics stack on
the Europa and weighs nearly twice as much as the 320. As my panel is
optimised for a 6.25" wide avionics stack the only transponder that
seems to fit the bill looks to be the Trig TT31 transponder. Has anyone
else looked into this yet? If so what conclusions have you come to?

Regards

Nigel Charles