Re: Europa-List: Mode S transponders

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mode S transponders
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:04:10

Apparently not considered in the analysis is the cost of a service if the
encoder drifts out of calibration.
With a separate encoder, it can be cheaper to replace with a new item,
whereas with an embedded encoder it's a costly service with downtime?

My personal preference is for the Filser (with extended squitter and higher
output, for future-proofing), because it is light and compact, and because
it is widely used on the Continent. However there have been recent
additional software problems; still doesn't put me off as the factory is
fixing these.

Duncan Mcf.