Re: Europa-List: Monowheel speed kit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel speed kit
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:12:33

<<Closing off the gills would be the first thing (they add no value to the
plane).  >>

I tried that.
It made no difference to CHT, oil or water temps. But why would it; those
systems are cooled independently to what goes on under the cowl.

However, (with the 912S air shroud fitted) the cylinder wall temperatures
went up SUBSTANTIALLY. So much so that I could easily believe that on a hot
day and an extended full power climbout they would quickly exceed the
maximum permitted (190C). Fortunately, I never experienced that
configuration before finding out this.

By closing the gills, 'competition' for cowl exit area is increased.

On the other hand, the temparature of the alternator regultator didn't seem
to be affected at all.

Duncan Mcf.